Wednesday 17 September 2014

Hosea



I know I'm late with this Hosea thoughts post for She Reads Truth but it really took me a while to gather and decipher my own feelings about this book.

It's a story of unthinkable grace, love which abounds and mercy which only Christ can show to us. For a man to be told to marry the outcast; an unclean woman who cheats on him many a time, only for him to keep loving, keep forgiving.

God's love story for Israel and Judah are written out in this book and to be honest that was the hardest part to read. This isn't a book for the faint hearted that's for sure! His wrath is plain and it's almost scary to read, hard to swallow. Because the truth is, alike Israel and Judah, and alike  Gomer, I too prove faithless and flippant about God's love at times. The people is Israel had been rescued from slavery, brought out into a promised land, provided for by God in every respect yet they still complained bitterly. Hands up, I complain a lot of the time about many different (very unimportant) things. God provides for me and yet I throw my little worldly tantrums and console myself in people and Netflix more than I seek Him.

The book of Hosea speaks of God binding himself to us and I imagine he's not talking about bonds which can be broken. The theme of marriage is also prevalent: that when we marry this is a worldly picture of God's relationship with His Church; His people. When we stand at the altar and promise to love our spouse for the rest of our lives this is a picture of how God entered into relationship with us when he came into our lives. A relationship which perseveres, loves through all things and places God above all else.

Most powerfully to me though is the image of God waiting for my return, with love and no anger:

11 v.9: "I will not execute my burning anger...for I am God and not a man,
for the Holy One is in your midst, and I will not come in wrath"

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think