Sunday 26 October 2014

Saying goodbye

Two weeks ago today I lifted my sweet old dog into my arms for the last time. I was flying to Portugal in the morning and that stormy Sunday night cudde was to be our last. My parents had decided to have him put down whilst I was away to end his misery and struggle. I understood the reasoning, I really did, but it doesn't make the goodbye and the grief any easier.


I was 11 years old when I first met him. He was so tiny, 7 weeks old and fitted into the palms of my hands. His coat hadn't broken yet and he had beautifully soft puppy fur and he loved to snuffle as close to your cheek as he could get. Growing up with this lovable ball of fun was a great adventure!

He came camping (he loved tents and sleeping bags), he wanted to be involved in every little detail of your life and was always there to welcome you home. I've lived in 5 different countries and he was there to bound up to me when I returned from every one of them.

I can't quite imagine how empty my parents house will feel now. I have to admit, I haven't been back since saying goodbye. Only a week prior to leaving him he had been rushing around my flat looking for food before crashing down on my sofa because he'd used all his energy.

I don't have many "blog worthy" photos of him. He was a Jack Russell and didn't like the camera. I also don't think I even had a digital camera for the first 5 years of his life!

Words don't come easily when trying to write about him and the hole that's now in my heart. So I'll stop and leave you with some photos of this little joy.


 Sleeping under my desk at work in his Christmas jumper


He was never impressed when it snowed

So dog owners, give your little ones an extra cuddle today. Take them on a memorable walk they'll love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think